Tuesday, April 21, 2009

GreenIT -- The new cost cutting mantra!


I attended a full day training session last Friday. I'm used to walking into trainings with no worldly possessions since notepads, pens, papers etc is all provided for. Even drinking water in old bisleri bottles! To my surprise, this time there was nothing. Not even the pseudo-bisleri! When I met up with the training co-ordinator on Monday & complained about our miseries, she said it was all for the environment as per the "GreenIT" initiative. It forbids the companies from providing any pen/paper during training to help save the environment. That gave me an additional reason along with the training contents to scratch my head!
***
I was also in for another surprise once I came back from an official trip after 2 months. I happily said no to my lunch box so as to eat Paneer Parantha at the office cafeteria. And I was in for shock cause the vendor tells me that they have stopped making Parantha's altogether in the cafe. When i met up with the cafe manager, he said he was asked not to have Parantha on the menu since the Tawa consumes more electricity to cook the Parantha. And the Parantha was way too popular! So Dosa was introduced instead! And the directive came from the Admin Head probably as a part of the, you guessed it, "GreenIT" initiative.
***
I guess the final frontier in the quest to save the environment would be to ban eating and stop the 5billion population from increasing CO2 emissions!

3 comments:

dotcomgirl said...

Hahaha!! Really funny...Green IT is good but a line has to be drawn somewhere!

Nilesh said...

@dotcomgirl -- I know! Who reads the fine print tho? Every department interprets it per their own whims, fancies & understanding of the english language! :-)

dotcomgirl said...

The discussion you have started could lead to many more posts on your blog! Keep writing more and more... :))