Friday, November 14, 2008

Bollywood : Can we pluheeez keep it away from too much realism?

Watched Madhur Bhandarkar's latest offering, Fashion, last week. It isn't really hard hitting as Page 3 was but i must admit that it was pretty engaging. There weren't too many moments when i grumbled the words "Move on!". The cast is all there doing typical things. So as a movie, ignoring Madhur's history/claim of making movies close to reality, I would rate it 3/5. I do not need to deep dive in a review to shred every piece of expression of the cast to like it.
***
Which is why Masand's review pissed me off. I don't know why I watch his show! Masand says the movie is far from reality cause Madhur did not include a single shot of designers at work. All that sketching, snipping, cutting, embroidery etc that goes into making a fashion week. My point is - It isn't a "Idiots guide to fashion designing"!! For gods sake, let it be entertainment and not education!! But i do agree to his point that the movie was better titled "Super Model" over "Fashion"! The only sane point he made in the entire review.
***
Which brings me to this whole Bollywood-realism debate and movies closer to actual lives we lead. These champions of realism like Masand are only limited to cities. Go to smaller cities like Jodhpur, Ahmedabad, the two I've been to, and you will see that people love our very own song-dance-high drama fare. It some serious escape from the mundane lives. Its very true that Bollywood sells dreams. It needs to continue so. We sure have place for the so called "mature cinema" but why ape the Hollywood market? I for sure would love to watch the typical Shahrukh-Yashraj DDLJ kind of movies once in a while! I'm not saying no to introduction of new subjects in tune with times, Rock On!, being a perfect example. But then, pluheeez! I still want to see song sequences with long flowing Saree's draped precariously over pretty lasses while Shahrukh stretches out his arms from some absolutely stunning Swiss locales!
***
Nice! Really Nice! :-)

No comments: